Jason “Still” Waters’ life looks perfect from the outside—money, fame, and the words “World Champion Bull-Rider” after his name. But Jason has a secret, one he never planned on telling anybody…until he meets Simone. She’s the kinky girl of his dreams…and his conservative family’s worst nightmare.
A new release by Reisz, especially one in the Original Sinners universe, is always a reason to cheer. Here she returns with some of her favorite elements – BDSM (of course), horses, and beloved series regulars – in a contemporary erotic romance.
- Bi (as well as maybe pan) rep by an own voices author ❤️🌈
- Zee tropes, zey are flipped. Instead of a baby sub, endemic in the genre, we have a baby dom who is guided by a professional submissive.
- The couple’s romance and emotional journey is well paced and thought out… until the end.
- Reisz is always explicitly sex positive and guilt negative, and it’s a joy to read.
“This is what I think,” she said. “If you’re enjoying it and I’m enjoying it, then we’re doing it right.”
- There are cameo appearances by Nora and Soren – yum. That being said the story stands on its own, even if you’ve never read an Original Sinners book.
- It’s small and random, but I love that speaking two languages isn’t presented as weird. No “wow!” or “you’re so smart!” or cultural stereotyping, just the fact that the hero knows Spanish (and the heroine has a passing knowledge, as well). This bilingual appreciates it.
- The final conflict hinges on a misunderstanding. It’s not a Big Mis, and it makes sense, but the category length (~200 pages) means it comes up and is resolved very quickly, with a facile epilogue. All the emotional beats are there, though, so yea for that.
- Reisz gravitates to shorter page counts but I like her at novel length, damn it. The characterization is so wonderful that I want to see more of everyone. Here the best friends, Luke especially, would have benefited from fleshing out.
- I love that the story is low angst… but that started giving me angst. “What’s the end conflict going to be? Groupies discovering the girlfriend? A sexy video or text getting hacked? What if he forgets the condom ahhhhhh” (He doesn’t, by the way. Perfect gentleman.) This is a me thing, though, and you’ll probably be fine. 😅
Three cheers for Reisz in the mode I like her best. It’s also a good entry point into her work if the summary and shorter length appeal to you. If you’d rather skip the BDSM try Her Halloween Treat instead.
Thanks to 8th Circle Press and NetGalley for providing a review copy.